Lab work and the processing of that work are continually improving and changing. Data, data entry, and the software used have changed so much in recent years. If you want to add value as a lab, it’s absolutely vital that you find ways to stay up to date with these adjustments. Taking advantage of a noteworthy laboratory information system (LIS) is the best way to efficiently manage data and automate processes to allow improvements with your workflows.
Processes that were once slow and tedious are now automated and efficient in many ways. An LIS reduces the risks of errors and allows things to keep moving continually so the lab can be far more effective. The LIS streamlines processes from sample collection to storage to reports and everything in between.
There are many different laboratory information systems to choose from, so finding one designed to keep up with your needs is essential in any lab environment.
Check out this simple guide to better understand how to use an LIS to meet your lab’s needs.
Top Advantages of a Laboratory Information System
If your lab has not yet utilized a laboratory information system, it may be worth considering. And if you have a system that isn’t fulfilling your needs in these key areas, it may be time to consider changing systems.
There are many benefits of using an LIS in your lab, like improved operations and efficiency, but it doesn’t stop there. Check out these top advantages:
- Ensure your data and tracking are more accurate to reduce errors
- Maintain improved compliance with regulatory standards with system flags
- Share data with others who need to see processes and results on the team
- Improve your overall productivity through efficient processes
Systems improve processes. When your processes are more efficient and reliable, your efficiency increases and your lab runs more effectively as a whole. Streamlining through an LIS can allow you to get more done, be more accurate, and share data more efficiently as needed. And when processes and efficiency improve, so does your bottom line.
Important Elements of a Laboratory Information System
It’s not just having an LIS that makes things more efficient in a lab. Instead, it’s having a reliable system that can help make processes smoother while also reducing errors. Your LIS needs to be able to cater to your lab and help staff avoid mixing up details, making errors in results, or even misdiagnosing with labs. In addition, team members should be taught how to best use your system for simplified processes as a whole.
These elements of an LIS help bring it all together:
- Encourage collaboration throughout the team by providing an efficient system to necessary staff members. Give your team the ability to share data and results, as well as make notes and communicate effectively.
- Keep your lab in compliance with regulatory agencies such as OSHA, HIPAA, CLIA, and others. An LIS can be set up with flags and integrate regulatory information to better monitor this.
- Take advantage of the ability to automate your tasks. This should include everything from ordering lab testing to sharing the results of the labs when they are ready. Processing time and accuracy of test information rely on this system.
- Properly manage all data to keep it organized and in one place. The system organizes details together so every bit of needed information is right there. You can even rely on electronic ordering and reporting to limit manual processes altogether.
Check Out This Case Study Example
Aurora Diagnostics is well-known for cancer diagnostics and pathology services. They are one of the top brands in the industry, providing healthcare facilities with integrative diagnostics, technology, and personalized consultations.
Because Aurora serves a vast presence with more than 29 community practices and more than 200 board-certified pathologists, their LIS system needs were extensive. The system had to be robust enough to handle their demands while also being flexible and capable of supporting their workflow specifics.
Aurora Diagnostics settled on integration of two systems with comprehensive coverage to capitalize on report templates as well as molecular needs within the LIS. Their selection allowed them to integrate all of their lab needs, manage and report data effectively, and look for alternative ways to continue to improve. Their systems and workflow improved as they pinpointed areas of weakness and continued to build and strengthen processes.
Thanks to implementing the right LIS, they found their labs to be more efficient, more productive, more accurate, and more compliant. They improved processes, communicated better, and cut costs. That’s a win-win!
Choose the Right LIS for Your Needs
Laboratory information systems do not have a one-size-fits-all approach. Working with a company that can help you customize and prepare the right solution for your lab makes a significant difference. Don’t just assume that one well-known LIS is the only fit for you. Instead, choose a provider who will ensure you get a solution that works for your lab. Improve efficiency, processes, and overall workflow when you use the right LIS to meet goals!