One of the face elements that significantly influences how someone looks is their nose. Due to its central location on the face, the nose plays a big part in establishing facial symmetry. A crooked nose, for instance, can significantly contribute to an imbalance in facial features. Symmetry is a crucial aspect that contributes to facial attractiveness. Some people are looking at ways to alter their nose to improve looks. This is where nose augmentation or nose surgery in Singapore comes in. Nose augmentation is also called Rhinoplasty or a nose job. Read on to discover more about nose augmentation.
1. What is Nose Augmentation?
Nose augmentation or nose surgery is one of the popular types of surgery performed not only in Singapore but worldwide. Nose Augmentation is done to alter the shape, structure and size of the nose not only for cosmetic reasons (e.g. improving appearance, etc.) but for functional reasons (e.g. correcting breathing problems) as well. Here are the common reasons why people undergo Nose Augmentation:
- To unclog nasal passage ways
- To fix a broken nose and other facial fractures
- To correct facial birth defects or deformities from injuries, etc.
- To restore breathing function following an illness and/or injury, cancer treatments, etc.
- To improve the overall look
2. Who can undergo Nose Augmentation?
It is important to know that not all can undergo a nose augmentation. Those who are considered as good candidates are as follows:
- be in good physical and health condition and with a fully-developed facial
- doing the treatment for their own reasons not because other people think it would look better.
- have realistic goals and expectations
- understands the procedure, the risks, complications and the limits in nose augmentation
- do not smoke
3. How does Nose Augmentation work in Singapore?
The methods used in Nose Augmentation can be performed depending on the cosmetic or functional needs of the patient. There are two different methods currently used, and they are:
- Closed – this method is considered as a minor nose reshaping and appropriate for those who only need to slightly reshape their noses. For this method, the incisions are done to remove the skin from the bone and cartilage on the interior (inside) of your nose and the nose is reshaped.
- Open – this method is considered as a major nose reshaping and is suited for those who need extensive work on their noses. For this method, the incisions are done outside of the nose between the nostrils in order to separate the cartilage and bone from the skin of your nose to reshape it.
4. What is to be expected before Nose Augmentation procedure?
Like any medical procedure, an initial consultation with a surgeon of your choice should happen first. This will be the time where you and the surgeon will discuss your concerns and desired outcome of the Nose Augmentation. Your medical history including past surgeries, illnesses (diabetes, heart problems, etc.), treatments/medications, and allergies. will also be asked by the surgeon in order to make smart and safe choices regarding the nose augmentation procedure. A physical examination of your nose will also be performed to identify any problem areas that can be corrected by nose augmentation. Moreover, pictures will be taken to aid your surgeon as they perform the treatment.
Once examination and other preliminaries are completed, the surgeon will be able to present to you your options for your Nose augmentation procedure and the corresponding potential outcomes for each option. Once the treatment plan has been finalized, your Nose Augmentation will then be at last scheduled. It is strongly advised to avoid smoking and taking certain medications as these will increase risks of developing problems or complications during and after the procedure. You will need someone to drive you home and stay with you overnight so make sure you make arrangements prior to your scheduled procedure.
5. How is Nose Augmentation performed in Singapore?
Nose Augmentation is normally performed as an outpatient treatment – that means you can return home the same day after the procedure. You might be given general anesthetic that will put you to sleep or you could be given local anesthetic which will numb your nose and intravenous sedation, which will make you feel calm but not asleep. Nose Augmentation may be performed in an outpatient clinic or hospital in Singapore. Incisions will then be made by the surgeon depending on the method chosen (open or closed). General steps after making an incision will include lifting the skin, separating it from the nasal bone and cartilage, removal of extra cartilage, bone, etc. and other necessary steps in shaping the nose in order to achieve the desired results. After the surgeon is satisfied, the lifted skin will again be attached to nasal bone and cartilage with use of tiny sutures to keep it in place. Nasal Augmentation is usually completed from 1 hour to 3 hours.
6. What to do after the Nose Augmentation Procedure?
You will be required to stay in a recovery room following your Nose Augmentation Procedure where you will be observed. If complications or any medical issues are observed, you will be advised to stay at the hospital for at least 1 day, otherwise you are free to go home. Usually instructions will be given by the surgeon to make sure you are going to recover properly. Here are common advice to help you during your recovery process:
- While your nose is wrapped in bandages, take baths as opposed to showers.
- Avoid strenuous exercises like jogging and aerobics.
- Avoid blowing your nose
- Don’t make specific facial expressions, like laughing or grinning.
- Consume high-fiber foods like fruits and vegetables to avoid constipation. Constipation may make you push more forcefully, which could put strain on the surgical site.
- In order to prevent your top lip from sliding, gently brush your teeth.
- Put on clothing that can be buttoned or zipped in front. Best to avoid clothing that needs to be pulled over the head as this can injure your nose.
- Keep your mouth open as you cough and sneeze.
7. How much Nose Augmentation cost in Singapore?
Depending on how severe the issue is, a nose augmentation might cost anywhere from $3,000 to $25,000 in Singapore.
Artisan Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery
290 Orchard Road #07-11,
Paragon Medical Suites,
(65) 8129 7887